Skip to main content

The Valley of Silence: What the Dead Sea Hides

 A few days ago, I shared with you the Parable of the Two Seas: the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea. In the first, one of the most beautiful stories took place: Jesus walking on the water, showing His sovereignty over creation. In the second, however, one of the most terrifying stories unfolded. This is what I want to tell you about today.

​The Dead Sea was not always "dead." The Bible tells us that in ancient times, this area was not a salty abyss, but an extremely fertile valley—so lush it was compared to the Garden of the Lord. Two prosperous cities were settled there: Sodom and Gomorrah.

​The world has speculated much about their downfall, but Scripture is clear about the root of their wickedness. Its inhabitants were, above all, deeply selfish. This was their true sin; not the interpretations the modern world has tried to impose, but a level of pride that led them to close their hearts to those in need. The prophet Ezekiel confirmed this centuries later: "Now this was the sin of Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy" (Ezekiel 16:49).

​Their sin reached such a point—the sin of receiving everything while giving nothing back—that God decided to bring their deviation to an end. A consuming fire was their end, and what was once a green paradise was buried under brimstone.

​Since then, the Jordan Valley has become an arid land, a body of stagnant water where life cannot take hold. The landscape changed to remind us that selfishness is a grave sin in the eyes of God. The Dead Sea is, in essence, a geographical monument to a society that chose to stop flowing and preferred to be consumed by its own abundance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Naturismo cristiano: Anécdota de mi niñez.

  Hoy voy a iniciar una nueva entrada en mi blog personal sobre el naturismo cristiano. En entradas anteriores, había comentado que esto del naturismo cristiano no es realmente algo importante. Con esto quiero decir que no es una doctrina nueva. Se que esto no es para todos. Pero, por alguna razón, para mí lo es. Para aclarar por qué yo lo considero importante, voy a compartir una anécdota de mi niñez, a la que llamo el día que perdí la inocencia. Quizás alguno de ustedes pueda identificarse con este recuerdo mío. Era un día de verano, particularmente caluroso. No recuerdo qué edad tenía, pero estoy hablando de uno de mis primeros recuerdos conscientes. Calculo que tenía menos de cinco años, cuatro tal vez. Yo estaba en mi casa y ese día me tocaba bañarme. Yo no era fanático de bañarme; es más, si podía, lo evitaba. Pero mi madre, para evitarse los berrenches que hacía cada vez que tenía que bañarme, tenía su estrategia. Ella sabía que me gustaba mucho jugar con barcos. Entonces,...

El amor a la verdad como fundamento de la libertad

 En el Evangelio de Juan, la libertad no se presenta como una simple capacidad para hacer lo que uno desea, sino como una consecuencia de vivir en la verdad. Cuando Jesús declara "la verdad os hará libres" (Juan 8:32), ofrece una perspectiva radical sobre la libertad: esta no depende de la ausencia de restricciones externas, sino del conocimiento y la adhesión a la verdad. Desde esta visión, defender la libertad no es tanto un acto de preservar el derecho a la autonomía individual, sino un compromiso profundo con la verdad que libera al ser humano de las mentiras y las imposiciones sociales y culturales. En un mundo saturado de construcciones ideológicas y culturales que manipulan la percepción y los valores, la defensa de la libertad pasa necesariamente por una resistencia a la falsedad, es decir, por una defensa inquebrantable de la verdad. La libertad como verdad en el Evangelio de Juan En Juan 14:6, Jesús se define a sí mismo como "el camino, la verdad y la vida...

Exhibitionism vs. Naturism

 The most frequent accusation made against naturists is that we are exhibitionists. I won’t deny it; it’s true. Although I can’t speak for everyone, I will admit: I am an exhibitionist. But not for the reasons people often assume. I’ll bring to mind an event from a few years ago: the visit of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to Italy in January 2016. During this official visit, Italian authorities decided to cover several nude statues in the Capitoline Museums in Rome with white wooden panels. Now I wonder, who was being censored? The stone statues? Or the artist's work? Since censorship is the attempt to control expressions or ideas, it's impossible that the stone itself was being censored. The one being censored was the artist who created those works. Now, I believe that I am God's creation. I didn’t create myself. When I cover my body, whether with fig leaves, animal skins, cotton, wool, linen, or lycra, with the intention of hiding certain parts of it, I am undoubtedly ...